Digger derricks are primarily used by major industries to dig holes, set up poles and position various types of material and equipment through manipulating the hydraulic boom arm that is equipped with a giant auger. When operating this specialized, multipurpose mobile device, it is critical to establish maximum safety parameters to avoid serious injuries or even death.
From the time the digger derrick was first introduced, product safety features existed to protect users from accidents. Although many modifications have taken place over the years thanks to rigorous research associated with injury prevention, accidents still happen.
Due to rapid technological advancement, it is much safer to operate digger derricks because of the improved safety features that minimize accident risks. In order to better understand the subject of safety and digger derricks, listed below are a few of the security devices with which this truck is equipped.
- Seat Belts – Seat belts are installed for safety purposes, not just for the sake of being a body strap embellishment. They are designed to hold vehicle occupants in place and prevent being catapulted due to a sudden halt occurring in a collision with another object while operating. This restraining device has made the mobile auger drills safer to maneuver.
- Air Bags – This passive safety component is installed as a supplemental method of delivering life-saving benefits, reducing risks, and protecting occupants from serious head and chest injuries caused by the dashboard, steering wheel, or windshield during a collision. The inflation of the airbag is triggered by the control sensor, which reacts to certain impact values.
- Headrest – This component is adjustable and designed to work with seat belts to prevent the head from snapping backwards causing a serious whiplash injury or even a fatal cervical dislocation.
- Anti-Lock Brakes – This system adds essential precautionary measures by allowing wheels to have continuous traction on road surfaces when brakes are applied to prevent skidding. Directional control is improved and a good braking distance is provided. In addition, an anti-lock brake system decreases the chance of multiple vehicular accidents and running off the road crashes.
- Hydraulic Outriggers – Outriggers act as stabilizers to balance the device and avoid accidental tip-overs when the boom arm is used to lift heavy objects. All four outriggers should be fully engaged or lowered every time the truck is used for drilling holes as well as setting and guiding poles into place.
- Operator Manual – One of the most important and often-ignored features is the manufacturer’s vehicle operation manual. Thousands of dollars is invested to print a user’s handbook not only for the correct usage of the machine but for guidance in taking certain precautions or providing warnings while using the equipment.
When using a digger derrick, it is crucial to understand its operating parameters. Just like any other unique heavy-duty vehicle, the driver of a digger derrick must be properly trained to maximize all safety features as much as possible.
When operating this vehicle, it is important to understand all of the details provided in the manufacturers manual about the dangers and hazards associated with these mighty machines. Although the device is equipped with hazard prevention features, it is still an operator’s responsibility to exercise good safety practices at all times. No matter how fully equipped the truck is with special gadgets to minimize risks, if drivers disregard the potential dangers or consequences of recklessness, an accident is bound to happen!